Certification + Recertification
In order to be eligible for certification, students must:
- Attend a certification course taught through a combination of lectures, discussions and hands-on practice
- Pass both written and hands-on skills tests, including participation in a “real world” CPS Check-Up Clinic
Safe Kids Worldwide is the certifying body for the National Child Passenger Safety Certification Training Program. To register for a course, you must first create an online CPS profile through Safe Kids.
Visit the CPS Certification website for more information on how to become a technician and registering for a certification course.
The certification cycle for both technicians and instructors is two years, and all requirements of the recertification process must be met:
- Pre-Registration Requirements:
- Verified seat check activity (5 types)
- Community education (Select one of the following)
- Participate in at least 1 two-hour check up event with at least one other CPS Technician
- Provide at least 4 hours of community education
- Attend a one hour (minimum) educational session, live or online
- Continuing education (6 CEUs)
- Certification/Renewal course teaching hours, if an instructor (20 hours)
- Registration and recertification payment
Click here for more information about Recertification from the National CPS Certification Program.
There are three kinds of community education that can count toward recertification. One option is to attend a one hour (minimum) educational session(s), live or online. The recorded webinar below meets this requirement. There is no quiz (Quizzes are only required for CEU sessions, see below). Community Education is not audited and no proof of completion is provided. After you watch the webinar, enter it in your online profile.
- Beyond Inspections: CPS Technicians Teaching Classes
Online CEU Sessions and Quizzes
To earn online continuing education units (CEUs) available below, technicians must carefully review session materials and pass the corresponding quiz by answering eight out of ten questions correctly. Technicians may earn one CEU for each quiz passed per certification cycle. All six required CEUs can be earned through online/web session CEUs per certification cycle.
Enter your name and certification number as they appear in your online profile and print out the certificate of completion after passing each quiz for your personal records.
There is no online record of technicians who have passed each quiz, so if you do not save or print out the certificate or if it becomes damaged or lost, you must retake the quiz.
To save a copy of your certificate, click “Print this certificate” and choose “Save as PDF” as the printing destination. You can also right click on the certificate and select “Save Image”.
After earning your CEU, log in to your CPS Online Profile, click on Recertification Activities and follow prompts to enter the CEU under “Category 4: Online/Web Sessions.”
1. Child Passenger Safety and Autism | Quiz
2. Consumer Reports Test Methodologies/Child Seat Ratings | Quiz
3. Explaining LATCH & Labeling Curbside | Quiz
- Provides perspectives of CR and vehicle manufacturers and NHTSA.
4. Fact or Fiction (Revised March 2016) | Quiz
5. LATCH 2015: What the Curbside Tech Needs to Know | Quiz
- Focuses on decision-making through examples and resources for techs in providing guidance to caregivers.
6. Recreational Vehicles and Child Occupants: Guidelines and Recommendations to Provide Parents | Quiz
7. Research Incompatibilities in Installation | Quiz
8. School Buses: Regulations and Best Practices | Quiz
9. Transporting Children by Ambulance | Quiz
Manufacturer Update (Car Seats)
1. Car Seat Manufacturer Fall Update (Jan. 2016) | Quiz
2. Cybex | Quiz
3. Diono | Quiz
4. Doona and Britax | Quiz
5. Dorel | Quiz
6. Evenflo | Quiz
7. Goodbaby| Quiz
8. Graco | Quiz
9. Hauck and Safe Traffic Systems | Quiz
10. Mifold and MACPS | Quiz
11. NUNA | Quiz
12. Orbit Baby and Kiddy USA | Quiz
13. Summer Infant | Quiz
14. UPPAbaby | Quiz
Tips on How to earn CEUs for Recertification (Rev 2016)